Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Gidgit - The Invisible Shield

In today’s techno-mailstromic world I’ve become hopelessly addicted to gadgets. I’m constantly surfing the net and browsing the shops to find the newest ones and get my hands on them. And once I’ve actually bought a new gadget I want to keep it safe and sound. A huge problem in this regard has always been the rough and tumble nature of my world. I’m a big brutish lump of a man and I’m constantly dropping, sitting on, throwing, scratching and breaking my toys. So I;m always on the lookout for ways to protect my techno-babies. Screens are perhaps the most vulnerable of tech-toy components. Not only are they very scratchable and crackable but without them the gadget become very hard to use. Ever tried dialing a number on your phone when the screen’s dead?

I was desperate for a solution, some kind of almost indestructible protective shield that encases your phone/iPod/computer/etc and DOESN’T RUIN THE CAREFULLY THOUGHT-OUT DESIGN AESTHETIC OF THE GADGET (If you’re an Apple freak like me then you’ll understand the importance of this. I didn’t buy the most beautiful gadgets ever made just to hide them in ugly neoprene or plastic sheaths. NO!) Some kind of Invisible Shield.

Enter stage left the: (you guessed it) Invisible Shield by Zagg. What is the Invisible Shield you ask? It’s an almost indestructible protective shield that encases your phone/iPod/computer/etc and DOESN’T RUIN THE CAREFULLY THOUGHT-OUT DESIGN AESTHETIC OF THE GADGET. Brilliant!

And the Invisible Shield (www.zagg.com / www.invisibleprotectors.co.za) really is. It’s a military grade clear ‘plastic’ film that was originally developed to cover and protect helicopter blades. It’s virtually indestructible and can be bought specifically manufactured for specific devices, so you know the parts will all fit and will expertly protect your device.

I got one for my wife and one for my Blackberry Bold. The application seems a little daunting when you see the instructions. But if you pop onto Youtube you’ll find tons of application videos that show you exactly what to do. Once you’ve watched the videos you’ll find the application quite easy.

You’ll also find some videos on Youtube showing the Invisible Shield being tested. They scratch it with a key and leave not a mark. I tried to do this, showing off my new gadget protector to a friend, of course I ended up scratching my Invisible Shield and moped around for a few months in a serious sulk. Then it occurred to me to check the website, which I did, and found to my delight that the Invisible Shield comes with a lifetime guarantee against scratches. I contacted the South African supplier; Invisibleprotectors.co.za and they told me to bring the phone in. I did, they took a look at it, I explained that I had caused the scratches while over zealously trying to demonstrate the Invisible Shield’s indestructibility and they replaced the scratched piece without any fuss. It must be said that when I scratched mine I was gouging the phone with a key, using all my weight and considerable gusto. Nothing in everyday life has left a mark on it.

Bottom Line Verdict: The Invisible Shield is the low viz gadget protector you’ve been waiting for. Get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment