Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gidgit - The Nanopad

Here's a great, and cheap, piece of tech. The Nanopad (www.nano-pad.co.za / www.nano-pad.com) is a great little invention that utilises nano-vacume-technology (apparently based on the same principles that enable a gecko to stick to a wall) basically a small sheet of sticky rubber-like stuff that you can slap onto your dashboard.

Once there anything you place on the Nanopad: phone, iPod, glasses, keys, etc, just sticks. There's no glue involved so the Nanopad doesn't have any sticky residues, there's no magnets involved so you won't wipe your iPod's memory. It's as simple as advertised: just slap the Nanopad down, pop something onto it and hit the skidpad.

I've had one for a few months now and I love it. There are, however, a few cons: the first, and no fault of the Nanopad's, is that most cars don't have a good spot to place the Nanopad. it measures about 145mm x 80mm and you shouldn't place it over any airbags. This leaves a very limited choices of prime spots. The second con, and I think this is the fault of the Nanopad, is that it's ability to stick to the actual dashboard, also done via nano-vacume-technology, is highly dependent on what the surface you're sticking it to is made of. In my wife's Toyota Yaris the dashboard is made of a highly stippled, slightly spongy material and Nanopad just doesn't like it. This means that every time she tries to pull her phone off the Nanopad she ends up pulling phone and Nanopad off the dashboard. In my VW Golf 5 I've found an awesome spot for the pad over my emergency flicker button. The pad sticks like a dream and my devices are close to hand.

Bottom Line Verdict: I love the Nanopad, but it's application can get a little tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment